The general students of Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology (BUET) have staged demonstration on the campus, demanding capital punishment for the killers of their fellow student Abrar Fahad.
The protesters placed a seven-point demand. The demands include:
1. Ensuring highest punishment of the killers.
2. Expulsion of the identified killers from the university within 72 hours.
3. Settlement of the cases through a speedy tribunal within the shortest possible time, ensuring justice.
4. VC’s presence on the campus within 5pm on Tuesday and his explanation about his absence for over 30 hours. Explanation from Directorate of Students Welfare (DSW) of BUET chief on why he fled away from the crime spot after the incident and otherwise, non-stop movement since Wednesday.
5. Expulsion of students involved with physical and mental torture in the name of ragging at residential halls by October 11.
6. Withdraw Provost of Sher-e-Bangla Hall by 5pm on October 11.
7. Providing compensation and bearing all legal expenses for Abrar’s family by BUET authorities.
The students also demanded banning student politics on the campus.
All the academic and administrative activities of BUET is closed for Tuesday on the occasion of Durga Puja but the agitating students started gathering inside Sher-e-Bangla hall from early morning.
Chawkbazar Police recovered the body of Abrar Fahad from the staircase of Sher-e-Bangla Hall of BUET at around 3am on Monday.
Several leaders of BUET unit of Bangladesh Chhatra League allegedly took Abrar from his room and beat him severely at Room No. 2011 of the hall at night.